Wednesday, April 25, 2007

So, how's the writing going...?

Over the past couple of weeks I've been blogging way too much and way too much of it has not been about the writing.

So, here's the update.

While I feel particualarly slow, a lot has happened in the last month. After the reading of BEYOND THE OWING in Santa Maria, I revised the play and sent it out.

Then, I took another week to revise a screenplay that had been languishing. To give you an idea of how much my process has slowed down, it took 4 days to read it carefully and thoroughly and another 4 to actually implement my notes. This used to take 2 days tops - and more often than not, 1.

After that, I took another pass at the MEDIUM teleplay, fixing a few things here and there that I'd meant to work on back in March when I finished the last draft.

Notice a pattern here? All revising, no new work.

I changed that last week when I looked at some screenplay ideas that I have. They're all movie ideas that have big roles for women since that's what's interesting me right now. I mulled them over, chose one.

Yesterday afternoon I "completed" the first draft of the outline. I printed it out but, to be honest, it has giant holes in it and I don't have to read it to know. I'll revise it this morning. The story is a simple action story. I'm primarily writing it to get away from the more personal stories (MEDIUM aside) I've been producing over the past few years.

Of course, I feel like a failure because I haven't "finished" anything brand new since mid-February when I churned out the first draft of MEDIUM over a weekend. And I've got 4, maybe 5, projects that I'd like to complete.

In between all this is the search of work. An interview at Paramount has been postponed 3 times - which does not bode well. An out of town free-lance gig that was supposed to be 2 months of work is now 3 weeks of work. And an agency that had me on hold before Easter has backed off entirely.

All I can say about that stuff is: In the desert, water evaporates fast.


Finally, check this shit out. Great new LA Band - from Shattuck: http://myspace.com/theyoungs

No comments: